Tuesday, March 17, 2009

God and Religion

Would I have believed in God if there was no religion?
Seems a little odd but if you think about it, not really.. God and religion are two different beliefs and this concept should not be difficult to understand given the number of religions existing. Imagine that there was no religious superstition and the utter nonsense that is/was being preached. Maybe I would have believed in a divine being if it were not for the trappings of rules of behaviour necessarily attached to it and used for the profit of certain hypocritical class of people and advocating the oppression of others. Maybe the concepts of nature and luck could have been attributed to this divine being and it could be comforting to believe that there was a superior being in this chaos world.

Maybe not. I would still need a justification for believing in the existence of such a being and I see none. I dont believe that god created the world or that He/She controls our destiny and I definately dont believe in any form of heaven/hell and Judgment Day. And I think it would be more discomforting to believe that this chaotic world is existing with the superior being than without it. And as far as I can remember, my athiesm was not a reaction to the religion. It was probably there before my reasoning abilities kicked in.

4 comments:

janaki_me said...

i think its religion which is more interesting than god.

rama srinivasan said...

and i think rituals are v interesting too. maybe janaki and I are probably saying the same time. rituals (even superstitions) tell us about the society and ppl. god doesn't tell us anything

Eye of Tiger said...

i wasnt asking which is more interesting.. I agree that religion tells us abt society.
What i was asking was if we separated the religion and rituals from god, was there a possibility that we wud not be atheists.

rama srinivasan said...

yes, i think it is poss. i think i am hindu though i am atheist. 'hindu' is what society makes you. and i know fanatic hindus who are atheists.